Friday, June 1, 2007

Ten Closing Thoughts

1. Know the signs and symptoms of cancer and don’t let yourself or loved ones ignore them. I tend not to visit my doc unless I’m near death. I was otherwise symptom free and had I ignored the lump in my neck, my outcome might not have been as cheerful. The following is from the National Cancer Institute website:

Cancer can cause a variety of symptoms. Possible signs of cancer include the following:

  • new thickening or lump in the breast or any other part of the body
  • new mole or an obvious change in the appearance of an existing wart or mole
  • a sore that does not heal
  • nagging cough or hoarseness
  • changes in bowel or bladder habits
  • persistent indigestion or difficulty swallowing
  • unexplained changes in weight
  • unusual bleeding or discharge

When these or other symptoms occur, they are not always caused by cancer. They can be caused by infections, benign tumors, or other problems. It is important to see a doctor about any of these symptoms or about other physical changes. Only a doctor can make a diagnosis. A person with these or other symptoms should not wait to feel pain because early cancer usually does not cause pain.

If symptoms occur, the doctor may perform a physical examination, order blood work and other tests, and/or recommend a biopsy. In most cases, a biopsy is the only way to know for certain whether cancer is present. During a biopsy, the doctor removes a sample of tissue from the abnormal area. A pathologist studies the tissue under a microscope to identify cancer cells.

2. Don’t hesitate to get a second opinion and explore all treatment options. Use the Internet to learn all you can and take an active role in your treatment. Visit an NCI Cancer Center if at all possible. They likely will have much more extensive experience and the latest treatments for your disease.

3. Don’t be afraid of clinical trials. As I understand it, Phase II and III trials have some evidence of success in preliminary studies and sometimes only vary one element of standard treatments. You’re not really a complete guinea pig. That one new element may be the piece that makes a difference in your case. Phase I trials are not as proven but may provide some hope in cases where you may think there is none.

4. Try to maintain a positive attitude. Yes, you will have bad days but try to stay focused on a positive long-term outcome. I’ve heard studies indicate that attitude plays a role in the outcome, and I like to think that it did in my case.

5. Just keep showing up. There will be days you won’t want to and will feel like it’s not worth it. When that happens, please reconsider.

6. If you’re in pain or concerned about side effects, let the nurses and docs know. They know how difficult some treatments are, and I found they will do anything they can to help you. I actually was admonished for not using some of the drugs they gave me to help reduce my pain or unpleasant symptoms because they did not want this to be any more difficult for me than it inherently was.

7. I was fortunate to have excellent medical insurance. If you aren’t insured and have any resources, consider a catastrophic policy at minimum. Without insurance, this illness would have easily bankrupted us. I’m not a huge fan of insurance companies but they do serve an important purpose.

8. People will respond in different ways, usually depending on their previous experience with the disease. People you think you barely know might be wonderfully supportive, while close friends may find it difficult to know what to do or say. Try to realize that even though the illness directly affects you that it can be as emotionally challenging to others around you, especially if there are not opportunities to help.

9. You may not feel like talking or seeing people during various stages of your treatment or may not want them to see you. I was the worst offender. If at all possible, try to accommodate them. If you don’t, their imagination can run wild and it’s usually worse than reality. I’ve never had a visit where both my visitor and I didn’t feel better by the end.

10. The disease can be a life-changing experience, but don’t be surprised if it isn’t drastically different. Hopefully, you’ll come out the other side with some positive insights, but the real world will be waiting for you when you’re done. I feel I’m a stronger person with new perspectives, but I’m back to working on spreadsheets for a living and trying to find time for the next bike ride. We all can’t win the Tour de France, but I do seem to enjoy my rides more when they do happen.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, dude.

The spirit of RikRohr. That's all I gotta say.

Anonymous said...

I have to second the "Awesome, dud" from notrikrohrthatsforsure, about both the blog and you, Vinny.

I've shared it with with a friend who's a nurse and she's passed it alonga t work. You're helping a lot of folks, Vin.

Anonymous said...

You are definitely "awesome" Vince, darlin'. To make it through all you have had to endure with humor and to make yourself accessible to others as well. It takes a very special person.

I feel blessed to know you.

And I second the "you're helping a lot of folks." Yes, I've been passing your blogs along too ...

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to clarify that I meant to type "Awsome, dude", not dud.

Really.

It was just a typo.

Anonymous said...

We all can’t win the Tour de France, but I do seem to enjoy my rides more when they do happen

With the way doping is going, you just might be able to take on a clean Tour field :)
Hope you really enjoy your rides, whether that be on a Tour de ____ or not.

koyore said...

Thank you! My father-n-law was just diagnoised and you have given me some insight into what to asked the doctors in the morning about his treatment they have planned for him.
I have emailed your blog to his children, so htey can better understand what to expect. thank you again!

Anonymous said...

Vinney,
Thank you for the good laugh.
I especially chuckled with your response to the, serenity prayer.
My husband will be starting the treatments for base of tongue cancer "primary" and the tumor on the neck on May 4th. I will show him your story. God bless you,
Irene